Community Presbyterian Church - Presbyterian Women Ministry

 

 

Presbyterian WomenThe purpose of Presbyterian Women (PW) is “Forgiven and freed by God in Jesus Christ, and empowered by the Holy Spirit, we commit ourselves:   to nurture our faith through prayer and Bible study, to support the mission of the church worldwide, to work for justice and peace, and to build an inclusive, caring community of women that strengthens the Presbyterian Church (USA) and witnesses to the promise of God’s kingdom.”  In the company of caring women we have fun doing this.  All women are welcome in PW.

 

We provide the following activities to accomplish the above and for our personal growth and pleasure.

 

Here at Community Presbyterian Church we sponsor three Bible study women’s groups known as Circles, that meet once each month from September through May.  One meets every 2nd Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in individual homes, one meets every 2nd Wednesday in the Narthex of the Church at 10:00 a.m., and one meets on the 2nd Thursday at 9:30 a.m. in the Youth Center.

 

We also have a Quiltmakers group which meets each 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month at 9:30 a.m. in Fellowship Hall in the Church.  This group is active in making quilts for newborn babies, women on their 85th birthday, ill parishioners, armed service personnel, and as fund raisers.

 

Also, we have a Book Club which meets on the 4th Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the home of Terri Treemarki-Beck, the group’s leader.  Members choose the reading list, so there is a wide variety of subjects and styles.

 

In May PW sponsors a luncheon/fashion show at one of our local restaurants.

For more information on any of the above activities, please inquire at our Church office at (949) 493-1502.

 

Our PW ongoing mission projects support these entities:

 

coin

  • The Fellowship of the Least Coin.  This is foremost a prayer movement, asking God for justice and peace in our world.  Women are asked to set aside the least coins of their country (in our case pennies) to become grants for special projects of evangelism, service, ecumenical solidarity, awareness-building among women , and relief throughout the world.  Eighty countries now participate in this offering.
  •  

  • The Birthday Offering in the spring.  Presbyterian Women are challenged to contribute one penny for each year of their life as a birthday gift for a variety of causes.  Monies from this offering in 2012 went to rescue young American girls who were victims of sex trafficking and exploitation, to help orphaned children in Romania, and to train people on the purchase and installation of solar powered equipment in Haiti.
  •  

  • The Thank Offering in the fall.  The Thank Offering each year gives women a tangible way to express their gratitude for the special blessings in their lives.  The offering funds projects such as agricultural development, child care, community organization, criminal justice, drug counseling, economic justice, elderly care, employment training, homelessness, literacy, violence and women’s concerns.  The projects chosen for assistance must have a purpose that meets basic human needs, provides some aid that relates directly to the people being served, and must be a creative project less than 3 years old.  At least 40 percent of this offering supports health-related projects throughout the world.  The remaining 60 percent funds new creative ideas for mission.

  • money

  • Cents-a-bility Offering.  This is an effort through the Presbytery to relieve hunger in the world.  It started with the concept of giving 3 cents a meal for the hungry.

 

 

Finally, these are activities that Presbyterian Women provide for Community Presbyterian Church:

 

  1. Each year, before the Ash Wednesday service, PW serves a simple soup supper to the congregation.
  2. In August, PW has a luncheon Kick-Off for the coming fiscal year of Bible study and other activities.
  3. In the fall, PW hosts a dinner and program of interest to the entire congregation.
  4. In early December, we have a booth at our annual Holiday Boutique Arts & Crafts Fair with baked goods from our exceptional Presbyterian Women bakers.  Also offered at this booth are some of the beautiful quilts made throughout the year by our Quiltmakers.

 

Lg Cross